I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC) and a Canadian Certified Counsellor (CCC) working with adults and adolescents in my Vancouver office. People seeking my professional help may struggle with some of the following problems and challenging situations:
- Major life transition(s) (e.g. divorce, break up, relocation, unemployment, new job, etc.)
- Too much stress and worry
- Over-relying on ineffective coping strategies, with little permanent and long-term relief from painful experiences (e.g. avoidance, overthinking, overworking, substance use, overeating, anorexia, binging/purging, self-harm, self-neglect, self-criticism)
- Low self-esteem, low self-confidence, and/or low self-assertion
- Lack of meaningful and close relationships
- Excessive frustration, disappointment, insecurity, or boredom in social situations and in current relationships, defeating a sense of closeness (i.e. emotional intimacy) or satisfaction with others.
- Inability to reach their fullest potential, despite demonstrating success in many ways
- Unresolved past traumatic experiences (e.g. unresolved childhood trauma, abuse, neglect, loss and grief)
- Range of psychological and physical symptoms typically associated various disorders including, depression, anxiety, phobias, ADD/ADHD, substance abuse, eating disorders, personality disorders, chronic pain, and sexual dysfunctions
- Lack of meaning and satisfaction in life
I work collaboratively with clients, helping them better relate to their feelings without resistance. Interventions are designed to assist clients:
1) face emotional experiences that tend to be avoided, and
2) build their capacity to tolerate these without unpleasant secondary symptoms.
- Individual Psychotherapy to Adults and Adolescents (14+)
- Various services to professionals, including treatment for, and consultation to, mental health professionals
- Traditional 50-minute sessions and block sessions (1+ hours) for clients requesting more intense and/or accelerated treatment, when appropriate, are available.
- Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (ISTDP): An accelerated, fast-acting, emotion-focused treatment model. It is well-researched for its effectiveness in treating several clinical disorders (e.g. anxiety, depression, somatization [physical symptoms unexplained by medical investigation], eating disorders, and personality problems). ISTDP is also used for treating other issues such as relationship and interpersonal problems, stagnation and poor functioning, self-defeating patterns, and behavioural problems. Clients are encouraged to face avoided feelings that trigger unconscious anxiety and a maladaptive reliance on defenses, causing their presenting problems (e.g. depression, anxiety). Together, client and therapist, engage in the process of allying with the healthy part of the individual pursuing a more authentic life experience, over the debilitating experience of a life dominated by fear.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: A well-researched treatment model for its effectiveness in treating several disorders for which focus on difficulties is at a more conscious here-and-now level.
Areas of Expertise
- Adolescent Issues
- Anger Management Issues
- Anxiety and/or Panic
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Eating Disorders
- Grief and Loss
- General Intimacy Issues
- Life Transitions
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues
- Parent/Teen Conflict
- Personal Growth
- Professional Burnout
- School/Work Adjustment
- Self Harming Practices
- Self-Esteem Issues
- Stress Management