Dr. Cohen has a doctorate of psychology from the Wright Institute at Berkeley, and completed training at the University of California, Davis Medical Center as well as a post-doctorate fellowship in contemporary psychodynamic psychotherapy. Dr. Cohen has a private practice in Midtown, Sacramento and welcomes both adults and adolescents.
Special areas of focus have included work with abuse and trauma survivors, relationship and intimacy issues, work concerns, identity and development issues, chronic illness and health, as well as learning disability evaluations and ADHD evaluations. Dr. Cohen is trained in intensive longterm psychotherapy designed to access comprehensive and lasting change.
Dr. Cohen is the Past-President of the Sacramento Valley Psychological Association and was previously the editor of "The Sacramento Psychologist". She is a full member of the California Psychological Association, Northern California Society for Psychoanalytic Psychology, and the Learning Disability Association of America. She is frequently a guest commentator on psychological issues for local television and magazines.
An artist and writer in spare time, Dr. Cohen supports the creative process in work and in life.
Longterm and Brief Psychotherapy with:
-Adolescents and their Families
Psychoeducational Testing and Evaluations:
Consultation and Supervision
Areas of Expertise
Special areas of focus include:
- Relationship and intimacy issues
- Abuse and trauma survivors:
- sexual, physical, emotional, domestic violence
- depression, anxiety, school, eating disorders, family and
relationship problems, sexual abuse, divorce
- Special work with Adolescent Girls
- Depression and Mood Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Work concerns
- Identity and development issues
- Chronic illness and health
- Learning disability & ADHD evaluations
- Psychological, social and practical issues related to learning difficulties, especially in adulthood.
- Development of Psychology as a field, ethics, and therapist development.